[Source: SportAccord Convention] Sir Ben Ainslie, four-time Olympic Gold Medallist & Team Principal, as well as Skipper of Britain’s America’s Cup Challenger, Land Rover BAR, will give the keynote on 8 November 2017 at the eleventh edition of the International Federation (IF) Forum focused on Sustainability.
Speaking ahead of this year’s event set to take place from 8-10 November at the Hotel Royal Savoy in Lausanne, Switzerland, Sir Ben Ainslie shared the following thoughts:
“It’s great that a flagship event like the International Federation (IF) Forum is focusing specifically on sustainability. Sports teams represent key role models in society and there is an opportunity for all sports teams to become truly sustainable businesses. At Land Rover BAR, we believe our influence should extend far beyond the race course, we look to educate and inspire to drive sustainability forward instinctively.”
This year’s IF Forum conference: ‘‘International Federation Impact - Leading the way towards a Sustainable Agenda’ will include Welcome Remarks from Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee, and Philippe Leuba, State Councillor Department of Economy and Sport, Canton of Vaud.
Patrick Baumann, President of GAISF and SportAccord Convention will deliver the Opening Address to leaders of the international sports federations and discussed the significance of this year’s theme on Sustainability:
"Avery Brundage, 5th president of the International Olympic Committee once described sport as ‘an international phenomenon like science or music’ and he was right. Sport has significant influence to shape the way people think about issues such as sustainability which is central to the future of our planet. As leaders of International Sports bodies we have a responsibility to use that influence by ensuring promoting sustainability and ingraining best practice into our events and operations.”
Marie Sallois Dembreville, Director of Corporate Development, Brand and Sustainability, IOC, will lead the Welcome and Opening Remarks on Thursday 9 November, and outline the objectives for the IF Forum, as well as the importance of implementing a common strategy.
The IF Forum conference will focus on infrastructure and natural sites, sourcing and resource management, climate, mobility, and workforce. The programme is a collaboration between the International Olympic Committee and all International Federations, and hosted by the SportAccord Convention team.
Speakers will include:
- Inger Andersen, Director General of IUCN - International Union for Conservation of Nature
- David Stubbs, Sustainability Expert
- Antony Scanlon, Executive Director, IGF - International Golf Federation
- Gloria Scarano, Mountain Protection Coordinator, UIAA - International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation
- Sabrina Ibáñez, Secretary General, FEI - International Equestrian Federation
- Andreas Graf, Human Rights Manager, FIFA - International Federation of Football Association
- Elena Merdaca, Administration Director, FIE - International Fencing Federation
- John Liljelund, Secretary General, IFF - International Floorball Federation
- Max T. Edkins, Manager, Connect4Climate Programme, World Bank Group
- Janne Leskinen, Secretary General, Lahti 2017, FIS Nordic World Ski Championships
- Thomas Kurth, Secretary General, UIM - International Powerboating Union
- Denis Décosterd, Chef du Service du développement de la Ville et de la communication, ville de Lausanne
- Maël Besson, Policy Officer, Sustainable Development of Sport, French Ministry of Cities, Youth and Sport, French Government
- Dr Beate Grupp, IIHF - International Ice Hockey Federation
- Will Lloyd, CEO, Global Sports Jobs
- Roger Piarulli, Executive Director, THF - Taekwondo Humanitarian Foundation, WT - World Taekwondo
- Jörn Verleger, Secretary General, IFA - International Fistball Association
- Volker Bernardi, Executive Director, WFDF - World Flying Disc Federation
- Magnus Sverdrup, Head of International Relations, Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports, Lillehammer Youth Olympic Games 2016
An additional speaker will be presented by IKEA.
Panel sessions will be led by David Eades, Anchor and Journalist, BBC World who will also serve as Master of Ceremonies for the IF Forum 2017.
The IF Forum is for international sports federations, speakers and official IF Forum partners by invitation only.
Official Partners include: JLT Specialty, Nielsen Sports, Reno Tahoe Winter Games Coalition, Sport Event Denmark, Lausanne and the Canton de Vaud.